Conference Report - Tokyo, Japan
9 Nov 2019
Tokyo-based Rakuten is one of the largest, by sales, online retailers in the world and has the largest e-commerce site in Japan. The Rakuten Technology Conference had presenters from their local and international divisions.
There were very good opportunities for talking with the speakers after their presentations and comparing the challenges they have in coordinating and working in a global environment with those that a large, open-source project like Komodo faces. The situation and problems were surprisingly similar.
Speaking with the presenters lead to very interesting discussions and a lot was learned through sharing and hearing of various experiences and solutions.
These are the events I chose to attend:
- How to Collaborate Effectively in a Global Technology Organization
- Follow on discussion - Zoran Stejic, Kaoru Tanaka
- Keynote - Hiroshi "Mickey" Mikitani
- Blockchain Technology Utilization in Global Rakuten Ecosystem
- Follow on discussion - Fergal Downey & Hajime Nishinomiya
- Managing Highly Distributed Software Projects
- Leadership in the age of AI/Data
The conference gave a good opportunity to gain insight into how other large distributed organizations deal with the challenges such an environment presents.
In addition, the conference also highlighted to me how much larger corporations want what blockchain promises yet hasn't been able to provide them through the projects they've experimented with.
Komodo has much of that, with more under development.